This scrumptious Plum & Almond crumble cake is perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up. The sweet and juicy plum combined with a buttery crumble and a little spice is sure to make this sweet traybake a firm family favourite. Enjoy yours warm with lashings of fresh custard or cold with a cup of afternoon tea – the choice is yours! English plums are available to purchase from our Greengrocers.
Ready in: 85 minutes
250g block of butter (must be very cold)
225g caster sugar
300g ground almond
140g plain flour, plus an extra 25g
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
6 plums, destoned and cut into small chunks
50g flaked almonds
1. Heat the oven to 180C. Butter and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with baking paper.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes and place into a food processor along with the sugar and ground almonds. Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Spoon out half the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
3. Add 140g flour into the processor and mix until the ingredients form a dough. Tip into the tin and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Once cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Next, make the filling. Put the remaining butter, sugar and almond mix back into the food processor, saving a few tablespoons for the topping. Add the eggs, 25g flour, cinnamon and baking powder then blitz until a soft batter is formed. Spread this over the cooled base.
5. Top the batter with plum pieces as well as a little extra caster sugar and cinnamon. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mix and flaked almonds on top, then allow to cool in the tin before slicing.