This delicious filo tart is packed with plenty of seasonal veg and has a crisp, zesty finish. It’s perfect for enjoying cold al fresco with a picnic, or with a side salad for a tasty office lunch. The seasonal vegetables aren’t around for long, so enjoy it while you can!
Find your asparagus in our Greengrocers!
Ready in: 75 minutes
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
6-8 sheets filo pastry
50g dried breadcrumbs
100g asparagus, slice in half lengthways if thick
2 courgettes, sliced
6 large eggs
Zest of 2 lemons
Handful of mixed herbs (parsley, mint and basil work well), roughly chopped
200g crème fraiche
200g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Heat oven to 180C and place a baking tray on the middle shelf to warm. Use a small amount of the oil to lightly grease a tart tin, then line with a few sheets of baking paper.
2. Unfold the pastry but keep covered with a damp tea towel to stop it from drying out. Working with 1 sheet at a time, brush each piece with oil and use to line your tart tin. Sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs between each pastry sheet to help it to remain crisp. When you get to the last sheet, brush with some extra oil and scrunch the edges together to create a pretty edge.
3. Cover the asparagus and courgettes with the remaining oil and tip onto the heated baking tray. Place in the middle of the oven and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Put the pastry case on the top shelf.
4. Remove the veg and pastry from the oven. Brush the pastry with some beaten egg and bake for another 5 minutes until golden and crunchy.
5. Whisk the remaining egg, lemon zest, herbs, crème fraiche together with some seasoning. Place half of the vegetables in the bottom of the pastry case and cover with half the feta. Pour over the egg mixture and top with the remaining veg and feta. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until the filling has set.
6. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and sprinkle with black pepper before serving.