Are you having friends over for a socially distanced catch up?Make them a jar of this delicious Plum and Ginger chutney. The perfect addition to any lunchtime get together. You can now purchase British Plums from our farm shop for your Plum recipes. Tag @beckettsfarm in your creations.
Ready in; 150 minutes
Makes; 2 jars
2 Bramley apples, peeled
60g unpeeled fresh ginger
400ml cider vinegar
350g soft light brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
150g golden raisins
Cardamom pod seeds
1 star anise
1. Halve the plums and remove the stones.
2. Roughly chop the plums.
3. Finely chop the apples, onions and ginger into small pieces.
4. Add the chopped fruit, onions and ginger to a saucepan with the vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and raisins.
5. Peel two strips of orange zest, using a veg peeler, then add to the pan along with the orange juice.
6. Crush the cardamom seeds in a pestle and mortar and add to the pan along with the star anise.
7. Stir it all together, put on a medium heat and bring to the boil. When it starts to bubble, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. It’s ready when there is hardly any liquid in the pan and you have a rich chutney.
8. Pour it into jars and seal.
Keep the chutney for up to 6 months in sealed, sterilised jars. Once opened, keep in the fridge and use within a month.
For more recipe inspiration take a look at our recipe blogs here.