If you love red velvet cake then these light and fluffy red velvet inspired pancakes will become your new favourite. They are generously filled with a cream cheese frosting. For a real treat, top with chocolate chips and raspberries to serve.
Ready in: 30 minutes
200g self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
25g butter, plus extra for frying
Red food colouring
For the icing
100g cream cheese
4 tbsp maple syrup
100g chocolate chips
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Tip all the pancake ingredients (except the food colouring) into a large bowl and mix together until smooth. Then, add a small amount of food colour and mix well. Add more food colouring until the batter is a rich red colour.
2. Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and melted until it begins foaming. Spoon 2tbsp of batter into the pan and use the back of your spoon to spread into a 8cm circle. You may be able to cook 2 or 3 at the same time, depending on the size of the pan.
3. Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes then flip and cook for another minute or two.
4. Heat your oven to its lowest temperature. Place the cooked pancakes onto a baking tray and hold in the oven to keep warm.
5. Mix the cream cheese and maple syrup in a mixing bowl until smooth then set aside until needed.
6. To serve, layer the pancakes with the frosting and chocolate chips. Finish with a generous scoop of frosting and a sprinkle of icing sugar.
For our Brie and Bacon Pancakes recipe, click here.