Make the most of the British strawberry season with this tasty strawberry cake. This light sponge layered with strawberry jam and a cream cheese frosting is sure to become your favourite garden party centrepiece.
Don’t forget to pick up your fresh strawberries from our Greengrocers.
Ready in: 70 minutes
400g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
400g caster sugar
5 large eggs
400g self-raising flour
100ml natural yogurt
300g strawberries, hulled and halved
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
100g butter, softened
250g soft cheese
600g icing sugar
400g strawberry jam
1. Heat the oven to 180C then grease and line three 18cm cake tins.
2. Starting with the cake ingredients, mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Add the eggs, flour and yogurt and mix again. Finally, add 200g strawberries (save the better ones to decorate) and vanilla, then mix again until fully combined.
3. Divide the cake mixture evenly between the three tins. Smooth the tops with a spatula then bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Testing the cake with a skewer should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and leave to completely cool.
4. Next, prepare the icing. Mix the butter and half the sugar until smooth and creamy before adding the soft cheese and remaining sugar. Mix well.
5. Layer the cakes with your chosen jam and half the icing. Invert the last cake on top, giving you a flat surface. Top with the remaining icing. If you wish, use a palette knife to spread the icing over the top and down the sides. You can save a little icing to do some piping around the edge of the cake too. Finish with the remaining strawberries.
6. Store somewhere cool or in the fridge. This delicious strawberry cake will keep for up to 3 days.