Impress your guests this summer with this creamy Panna Cotta. This traditional Italian dessert is topped with a sweet layer of fresh strawberry sauce. Being both delicious and refreshing, this dessert is perfect for tucking into on a hot summer’s day.
Don’t forget to pick up your fresh strawberries from our Greengrocers.
Ready in: 55 minutes
3 gelatine leaves
450ml double cream
200ml whole milk
100g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
For the strawberries
400g strawberries, hulled and halved
1 ½ tsp cornflour
50g caster sugar
1. Start by preparing the panna cotta. Put the gelatine leaves in a small bowl of cold water to soften for around 5 minutes. In the meantime, pour the cream, milk and sugar into a pan. Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds. Add both the seeds and pod to the cream mixture. Heat gently until hot, but don’t allow the mixture to bubble.
2. Remove the gelatine leaves from the water and squeeze out any excess liquid. Add the leaves, one at a time, to the hot cream mixture, stirring until dissolved. Leave the cream mixture to stand for 20-30 minutes until cooled. The vanilla pods should be suspended in the liquid at this point.
3. Once cooled, strain the mixture through a sieve into 6 serving glasses. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
4. Finally, prepare the strawberry sauce. Place the strawberries, cornflour and sugar into a saucepan. Cook over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, until the juices thicken and strawberries soften. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
5. Top the set panna cottas with the strawberry mixture and chill until ready to serve. They will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
For more delicious recipe inspiration, click here.