This gently fragranced Beef Keema utilises the humble pea for a delicious meal. Slow cooker recipes are perfect for lazy days and this Keema is best served with rice or bread. This recipe boasts traditional Indian flavours, balancing herbs and spices for a gentle kick. Keep any leftovers in the fridge and heat up for a tasty lunch the following day.
You will find English peas in our Greengrocers.
Ready in: 5.5 hours
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp grated ginger
2 green chillies, thinly sliced
1 tbsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp medium curry paste
800g minced beef
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp tomato puree
4 tbsp coconut cream
3 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion until softened.
2. Next, add the garlic, ginger, chillies, cumin seeds and curry paste and flash fry on a high heat for a few minutes.
3. Add the minced beef, breaking it up during cooking with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes, by which time the meat should have browned.
4. Stir through the tinned tomatoes, sugar, tomato puree and 100ml cold water. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
5. Transfer into the slow cooker, season well and cook on high for 5 hours.
6. An hour before the end of the cooking time, stir in the peas and coconut cream.
7. Sprinkle with chopped coriander, if you wish, to serve.