These delicious carrot and sesame seed burgers are both healthy and filling, which is ideal for lunchtime or a speedy midweek meal. These burgers are easy to make and are packed full of vegetables and spices. You can even swap your usual white bun to granary for a healthy alternative. You can find a selection of freshly baked bread rolls at our Bakery counter.
Ready in: 45 minutes
750g carrots, peeled and grated
410g can chickpeas, drained
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp tahini paste, plus extra to serve
1 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp olive oil
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
Zest 1 lemon, plus 1 tsp juice
150ml natural yogurt
3 tbsp sesame seeds
6 burger buns, salad, cheese and sauce to serve
1. Place a third of the carrot into a food processor along with the chickpeas, onion, tahini, cumin and egg. Blitz to form a thick paste then tip into a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the remaining carrot for around 10 minutes, until softened. Add the cooked carrot to the mixture, along with the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and sesame seeds. Season well then use your hands to mix.
3. Split the mixture into 6 equal portions then using wet hands shape into burgers. Cover and chill until ready to cook.
4. Mix the tahini and lemon juice with the yogurt and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and cook the burgers for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp.
6. Toast your chosen burger buns and spread the seasoned yogurt on each side on the bun. Add the salad, cheese slice and any extra sauce then top with the burger.