Despite its popularity in sweet puddings and desserts, rhubarb lends itself really well to savoury dishes too. Try this recipe for a lightly spiced chicken tagine cooked in the slow cooker with rhubarb. The tart, fruity flavour of rhubarb matches these middle eastern flavours superbly.
Ready in: 4hrs 30mins
1.15kg chicken thighs & drumsticks
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
A thumb of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
240g rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp Becketts honey
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and fry until golden brown. You may need to do this in a couple of batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Lift the chicken out of the pan and put it into in a 3½ ltr slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and rhubarb to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the spices. Then add the honey and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in 500ml hot water and gently mix.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hrs.
- Taste the tagine and add more salt and pepper if required.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with couscous, toasted almonds and chopped coriander leaves