As the sun begins to shine, here is our recipe for a delicious asparagus and tuna salad. It is a take on a classic Niçoise salad. Instead of using green beans it uses fresh asparagus, which has just come into season. British asparagus is on sale at our Greengrocers. Quail eggs might not be an ingredient you’re familiar with, but these are also on sale at our Greengrocers. If you’d rather use hens eggs, cook for a little longer in the boiling water.
Ready in: 30 minutes
8 new potatoes
6 quail eggs
125g asparagus, woody ends removed
185g can tuna, drained and flaked into large chunks
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ small red onion, sliced
2 baby gem lettuce, sliced
Crusty Becketts Bakery bread, to serve
For the dressing
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp English mustard powder
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp British rapeseed oil
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Boil the potatoes for 8-12 mins until cooked through. Drain, and cool under running water, then drain again well.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil. As soon as the water is boiling, add the quail eggs in their shells and the asparagus for 2 mins. Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and immerse them in a bowl of iced water. Drain the asparagus and rinse under cold water to cool. Leave to one side to drain further.
3. Once they are cold enough to handle, peel the quail eggs and halve them.
4. To make the dressing, whisk the ingredients together to combine.
5. Tip the potatoes, asparagus, tuna, tomatoes and lettuce into a bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss well to coat, then add the eggs and serve with crusty bread.