English rhubarb season is upon us, so what better way to enjoy it by making these rhubarb and custard blondies. Rhubarb and custard is a classic flavour combination and is delicious in these fudgy blondies. This tasty traybake is soft and gooey in the middle and topped with tangy rhubarb and sweet, glossy custard, baked for a crisp finish. It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family this spring!
Ready in: 70 minutes
225g salted butter, plus extra for the tin
200g light brown soft sugar
100g caster sugar
150g plain flour
50g custard powder
½ tsp baking powder
3 medium eggs
250g white chocolate chips
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the rhubarb and custard swirl
75g caster sugar
4 tbsp ready-made custard
1. Start by making the rhubarb and custard swirl. Put the rhubarb and sugar in a large pan with 2 tbsp water. Cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the rhubarb breaks down and becomes jammy. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
2. Heat the oven to 180C. Put the butter and both sugars into a pan. Put over a low heat and melt together until smooth and silky. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, sieve the flour, custard powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl and grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin.
4. Next, beat the eggs into the cooled sugar and butter mixture and fold in the dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the vanilla extract and 150g chocolate chips.
5. Pour into the prepared tin and use a teaspoon to swirl the rhubarb compote on top of the batter. Then, add dollops of custard on top and use a skewer to create a marbled pattern.
6. Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes until set and the edges are coming away from the tin. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
7. Melt the remaining 100g chocolate then use a teaspoon to drizzle over the blondie in a zig-zag pattern. Finally, cut into square and serve.
Tip: The traybake will keep in an airtight container for 3 days, or you can freeze portions individually.
Find more great recipe inspiration here.