Saag Aloo is a traditional Indian side side, made with potatoes, spices and nutritious spinach. It makes an inexpensive yet tasty meal and can be served as a main or side dish. Enjoy this Saag Aloo with your favourite curry or as a main dish with rice for a filling lunch/dinner. This recipe is already packed full of flavour but you could add some red chilli for an extra kick.
Ready in: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 as a side dish
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, sliced
2.5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin and mustard seeds
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp ground coriander and hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks, then simmer for around 10 minutes. Once tender, drain and leave to steam dry.
2. Heat the oil in a lidded frying pan, then add the cumin and mustard seeds. Fry for 1 minute or until they begin to sizzle. Next, add the onion. Place the lid on the pan and leave the onion to cook for 10-15 minutes.
3. Once the onion has softened, add the garlic, tomato puree, ginger, the remaining spices and a dash of water. Leave uncovered and cook for 5-10 minutes.
4. Next, add the potatoes and stir thoroughly so that they are all coated.
5. Add around half the spinach along with 100ml boiling water. Cover and leave for 1-2 minutes until the spinach wilts.
6. Finally, add the remaining spinach and scatter with chilli (if you wish) before serving.
For more great recipe inspiration, click here.