Make the most out of the English asparagus season with our delicious recipe for an asparagus tart. This fantastic spring vegetable isn’t around for long, so enjoy it while you can. This tasty tart can be served hot or cold, so is perfect for sharing at picnics or in your office packed lunch with a dressed side salad.
Top tip: Use Black Bomber Cheddar from our Delicatessen for an extra tasty treat.
Ready in: 35 minutes
375g puff pastry
150g English asparagus
2 medium eggs
250ml double cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
40g grated Gruyere
40g grated Cheddar
6 spring onions
1. Preheat a baking tray in the oven to 200C.
2. Roll out a 375g pack puff pastry to line a 27cm x 19cm tart tin.
3. Add 150g asparagus to a pan of salted boiling water and leave for 1 minute, then drain and refresh in cold water.
4. Mix 2 medium eggs with 250ml double cream, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 40g grated Gruyere and 40g grated Cheddar. Season and pour into pastry case. lay the asparagus on top and add 6 spring onions, trimmed and halved lengthways.
5. Bake on a preheated baking tray for 25 minutes until set and golden (you can cover the filling with paper if it browns too quickly).
For more great recipe inspiration, click here.