Combat waste this week, by putting your leftover Christmas cheese to good use with this cheeseboard macaroni cheese. Made in just a few simply steps with some store cupboard essentials this macaroni cheese is a great way to use up leftovers. Serve with garlic bread and salad for a delicious meal.
Ready in: 1 hour
350g pasta shapes
2 tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
3 tbsp plain flour
250g mix of cheeses you have (plus extra hard cheese for the topping)
1. Start by cooking the pasta according to the instructions, then drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a minute or two until softened. Next, add the mustard powder and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute.
3. Add the flour to the saucepan and stir to make a paste, cooking for around 1 minute until it starts to bubble. Take off the heat and gently pour in the milk, whisking as you go so it doesn’t go lumpy. Once all the milk has been added, return to the heat and cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Add the cheese and stir until melted, then add the pasta and stir again.
4. Heat the oven to 180C. Tip the cheesy pasta into a baking dish and top with some extra grated cheese. Bake in the oven for around 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
5. Let the macaroni cheese rest for 5 minutes before serving.
For more great recipe inspiration, click here.