This easy apple strudel is super speedy to make. Enjoy as a quick mid-week dessert or a weekend treat! A sweetly spiced apple filling, wrapped in flaky buttery pastry makes the perfect sweet pick-me-up. Best served with custard, or cream. You can find your English Bramley apples at our Greengrocers counter inside the Farm Shop.
Ready in: 40 minutes
5 medium sized Bramley apples
Juice from 1/2 lemon
150g caster sugar
A teaspoon cinnamon
A teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon flour
80g raisins or sultanas
3 or 4 sheets filo pastry
1 egg beaten with 3 tablespoons milk
Icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, then prepare a baking tray by lightly greasing or lining with baking paper.
2. Start getting the filling ready by peeling and coring the apples, then cutting into thin slices. Drizzle with the lemon juice.
3. Mix the caster sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and flour in a small mixing bowl. Next, add this mixture to the apples and stir together before adding the raisins.
4. Take a sheet of filo pastry and lay out onto your work surface, then brush with the melted butter. Top with another sheet of pastry and brush with butter again. Repeat with the third and fourth filo sheets.
5. Spoon the filling out length ways across one edge of the pastry so that it is well filled. If there is too much filling, don’t use it all because it will spill out when cooking.
6. Start at the side with the filling and roll up the strudel. Once rolled, brush the entire strudel with the egg-milk mixture, then seal the ends. Transfer the strudel onto the prepared baking tray.
7. Bake the strudel in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Leave to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting, then dust with icing sugar before serving.