Pork and apple are a lovely complimentary pairing and these sausage rolls prove just that. Sausage rolls are always a big hit at snack time, so why not try something a little different with this recipe. Packed full of flavour and a sweet hint of apple, these quick and easy sausage rolls are a delicious treat. Head to our Butchery counter to find your fresh pork sausage; and to the Greengrocers for your Braeburn apples.
Ready in: 60 minutes
8 pork sausages
1 box of ready rolled puff pastry
2 teaspoon sunflower oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 Braeburn apple, cored and finely diced
An egg, beaten
8 sage leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, then cook the onion over a low-medium heat for around 10 minutes or until softened.
3. Once softened, tip the onions into a mixing bowl and add the apple, sage and mustard.
4. Slit the sausages with a knife to peel off the skin and put the meat into the bowl with the apple mixture. Mix together with your hands, then shape into 16 fat sausage shapes.
5. Unroll the puff pastry and cut into 16 equal rectangles. Place the sausage onto one side of the pastry, leaving around a 2cm gap from the edge. Brush this edge with the beaten egg, then wrap the pastry over to enclose the sausage. Press down firmly to seal, then place onto the baking tray with the seam facing down.
6. Brush again with the beaten egg to glaze and use a knife to make a couple of slits in the top. Bake for around 35 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
7. Serve warm from the oven, or they can be enjoyed cold.