Use up your Christmas leftovers in this ham, turkey and sprout pie. Enjoy all the classis festive favourites combined with a creamy sauce and topped with pastry for a family feast on a chilly evening.
Ready in: 85 minutes
400g cooked turkey, chunked
200g cooked ham, chunked
100g Brussels sprouts
100g mature cheddar or Stilton, plus extra to sprinkle on top if you wish
500ml turkey or chicken stock
175ml double cream
1 onion, diced
1 celery stick, diced
50g plain flour
1 tbsp mustard – Dijon or wholegrain
320g sheet ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
Splash of milk, to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Soften the onion and celery in a large frying pan with the butter for 10 minutes. Mix the flour into the vegetables utnil absorbed and then stir in the stock.
3. Simmer in the pan until a sauce consistency forms, then stir in the cream, mustard and cheese, followed by the turkey, ham and sprouts. Take the pan off the heat and season well.
4. Tip the filling into an ovenproof dish, then cover with the pastry. Prick the pastry with a knife to create some air holes for the steam. Crimp the pastry on the edges of the dish to seal and glaze with the milk. Sprinkle with extra cheese, if you wish, then bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown in colour.
5. Remove from the oven and serve with mash and greens.
Find more recipe inspiration here.