This Sunday, why not try this lovely roast chicken with crispy root vegetables. All made in one tray, you can really minimise the hassle of washing up. Make some creamy mashed potato to serve alongside and pour over thick gravy for the ultimate comfort food. Whole British chickens are currently 2 for £10 at our Butchers counter!
Cooks in: 90 mins
4 large carrots, cut into big chunks
1 celeriac, cut into large chunks
1 large swede, into large chunks
2 onions, cut into quarters
100g mushrooms, halved
1 whole garlic bulb
2 tbsp Bennett and Dunn rapeseed oil
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves and woody stalks separated
Zest and juice of 1 lemon, keep hold of the lemon shells
1 medium chicken (about 1.4kg)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Add the carrots, celeriac, swede, onions and garlic bulb into a large roasting tin with the oil, rosemary leaves and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Mix well to coat the vegetables with the oil and herbs, and put in the oven for 5-10 mins while you prepare the chicken.
- Put the lemon shells and rosemary stalks into the cavity of the chicken. Remove the vegetables from the oven, stir, then sprinkle over the lemon zest and juice. Sit the chicken on top of the veg and put back in the oven for 1-11/4 hrs until the chicken is tender.
- Take the chicken from the oven and leave to rest for 10 mins. While the chicken rests, add the mushrooms to the baking tray, stir and put the vegetables back in the oven.
- Once the 10 minutes is up, remove the vegetables from the oven, squeeze the garlic from the skins, carve the chicken and serve.