This vibrant spiced red cabbage side dish makes the perfect accompaniment to any festive meal. Get ahead and prepare the cabbage in advance, then freeze ready for the festive period. Any leftovers can be enjoyed cold with cheese and cold cuts of meat. Visit our Delicatessen counter, where you will find a huge selection of local cheeses and cold meats.
Ready in: 45 minutes
1 medium sized red cabbage, shredded
1 small piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp allspice
A tbsp mustard seeds
100g golden caster sugar
150ml red wine vinegar
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil the add the cabbage, ginger, onions, allspice and mustard seeds. Cook for around 5 minutes or until the cabbage begins to wilt.
2. Next, pour in the sugar and red wine vinegar and cover. Cook gently on a low heat for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and turn the heat back up to medium.
3. Simmer the cabbage for 20 minutes, remembering to stir the mixture occasionally.
4. For the last few minutes, stir the cabbage continuously. The liquid in the pan should then have evaporated and become slightly sticky on the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer into a serving bowl.