Make and enjoy these carrot cake flapjacks as an on-the-go sweet treat or lunchbox snack. Packed full of fruit and nuts, these flapjacks are high in nutrients and minerals. Why not make them together as a family, then package them up and take them with you on a family walk. These flapjacks will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Ready in: 65 minutes (plus chilling time)
300g rolled oats
200g pitted dates, roughly chopped
170g butter, chopped
150g dried apricots, chopped
100g dried cranberries
70g mixed seeds
3 carrots, grated
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the icing (optional)
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp soft cheese
1 small orange, zested, plus the juice
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 170C and lining a 20x30cm tin with baking paper.
2. Pour the dates into a heatproof bowl and cover with approximately 60ml of just boiled water. Leave to one side for 10 minutes to allow the dates to rehydrate. Next, blitz the dates in a food processor until smooth.
3. Using a saucepan, melt the honey and butter, stirring continuously until smooth. Once melted, pour in the oats, apricots, cranberries, walnuts, mixed seeds, carrots, mixed spie and cinnamon then combine. Then, add the pureed dates and stir again.
4. Spoon this mixture into the prepared tin and press down evenly.
5. Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. If they start to brown too quickly, cover with foil halfway through. Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin the chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
6. To make the icing, mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Cut the flapjacks into 12 pieces and drizzle the icing over the top.
To find more great recipe inspiration, click here.