Make the most out of broccoli which is in season now and twist up your traditional broccoli soup with a hint of stilton. Nothing beats a bowl of comforting soup on a chilly day and this broccoli and stilton soup does just that. Combining the perfect blend of vegetables with a sharp tang of blue cheese, whether it’s for your office lunch or dinner party starter, this soup will cover it all. We would recommend using Colston Bassett Stilton from our Delicatessen counter and serve with Becketts Bakery crusty bread.
Ready in: 45 minutes
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
An onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, sliced
A leek, sliced
1 medium sized potato, sliced
A knob of butter
1l chicken or vegetable stock
2 florets of broccoli
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add in the onion and cook on a medium heat until softened. If the onion starts to stick to the pan, add a splash of water to prevent it from burning.
2. Next, add the celery, leek, potato and butter. Stir together until the butter has melted and then cover with a lid. Allow the vegetables to sweat for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
3. Pour in the stock and any chunky bits of stalk from the broccoli. Allow this to cook for 10-15 minutes, by which time all the vegetables should be soft.
4. Add the rest of the broccoli and finish cooking for a further 5 minutes.
5. Transfer into a blender and mix until smooth.
6. Crumble the stilton and stir into the soup. It doesn’t matter if a few lumps remain. Season, if you wish, and serve.